Sunday, August 15, 2010

Started Italian ended American

On Sunday's I usually make a big lunch and then we just have leftovers for dinner. Well staying true to my menu that I planned I decided that today I would make spaghetti because it was something I could start before church and finish up quickly after church.

All homemade, ok not really the ciabatta bread wasn't
First let me say that trying to find tomato sauce that has less then 5 ingredients proved to be a daunting task yesterday! I finally had to settle on tomato puree, and I bought some organic fire roasted tomatoes (also 5 ingredients or less). So I was nervous about using tomato puree but excited to try and make my own sauce. I started by sauteing 1 diced onion in about 3 tablespoons of olive oil, then I added 4 minced garlic cloves and sauteed till they were brown. Then I chopped 3 roma tomatoes and added them and cooked it all down. To that mixture I added 2 cans of tomato puree and 1 can of diced fire roasted tomatoes and half a can of water. I probably didn't need the water but I was nervous that it wouldn't make much sauce. Let me tell you the smell was awesome. I also added about 1 teaspoon of oregano and about 1/2 tsp of basil a little salt and pepper also. I don't measure when I cook so sometimes its hard to tell how much I used. I let it come to a boil and then I turned it to low and went and got ready for church. Before we left for church I turned the stove off but left the pot on the burner.

So on the way home I asked Tito if he was ok with me not adding meat to the sauce. There was a very long quiet pause before he answered...lol. He said, "I am all for us eating right and more healthy but if you try and turn me into a vegetarian I am going to be mad!!" I started laughing.
I explained that I wasn't trying to do that and that I  have read that if you can eat a couple meals a week without animal protein  its better for you. So anyway when I got home I cooked up some ground beef and separated me some of the sauce and added meat to his sauce. (he was happy) The sauce turned out wonderful. But it was chunky and my kids are not going to eat a chunky sauce so I have to figure out how to make a smoother sauce. Tito did complain about the noodles too. In my haste at the grocery store I just grabbed a box of whole wheat spaghetti and didn't even think to make sure it was angel hair. (he has become acccustomed to eating the whole wheat angel hair because they taste less grainy)




While I was finishing up lunch I decided I was going to make the apple pie I have been craving all week. So I threw together an apple crumb pie. It wasn't ready until about an hour after we ate but it was really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment