Monday, August 2, 2010

Did you say collards?!

Yes, I did. I hate greens of any kind, that smell was my least favorite smell in the world during the holidays. No matter where we went someone was cooking them and they stink when they cook!! So let me tell you how I acquired these particular greens. I asked Tito to stop by the store on his way home from work one day last week and pick up some romaine lettuce and Ranch salad dressing. He did and when he came in Grace looked at the "romaine lettuce" her Pop had bought and said, that's not romaine...lol. I said your right its not but don't say anything. Well of course she goes to the room and tells him he didn't get the right things. I checked the receipt thinking maybe I was wrong, maybe this was some type of romaine on steroids. Well the receipt said romaine lettuce. Hmmpph. I was perplexed. So I used up what little romaine we had and proceeded to divvy it up myself so that everyone who wanted some salad got some. I was not using the "romaine" he had bought, I was quite sure it was some type of green just not sure what type. So when he came to the table I said that's not romaine. He said that the sign up above what he had bought said romaine lettuce.I said well they were probably so close to each other you thought it was romaine, but what you bought is some type of greens. Anyway long story short, after a trip to the store I discovered that it was collard greens he had bought. I have never in my 35 years, eaten or cooked collard greens, but I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. So tonight for dinner I knew I was making roasted chicken breast, salad and  oven sweet potato fries. I decided that greens and sweet potatoes probably compliment each other well. So I got on the Internet and found this recipe for stir fried collard greens. It took me awhile to find a simple recipe that I didn't have to cook the greens for hours. I did tweak the recipe a little by first blanching the greens so they would be more tender before I stir fried them. They turned out well, I still don't know if I can acquire the taste for them but at least I can cook them for my hubby now! (even though I always told him I would never cook greens in my house ever! Guess you should never say never huh!!) Anyway, if you try the recipes let me know how they turn out for you!!
Loves Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment