Monday, August 16, 2010

Roasted chicken night = SUCCESS!!

Ok so I get tired of chicken its not really my favorite meat at all so tonight I was anything but excited about cooking roasted chicken breast. I knew I wanted some sweet potatoes, and that I had to cook one of the two eggplants I had bought over the weekend at the farmers market. I also bought some small grape or cherry type tomatoes from the farmers market that I wanted to incorporate before they went bad. (not sure what kind they were cause they were like yellow and purple reddish colored but very sweet)

Well all day today while I was holding Brooklyn (the baby that I keep) I was watching Food Network. It must have been Italian day cause it seemed like that's what a lot of the hosts were making. Anyway...Giada came on about 3 and wouldn't you know she was cooking eggplant. So I paid attention to how she cut it and cooked it. She made a Basil pesto eggplant mixture to go over some pasta...I can't wait to try the recipe. I couldn't do what she did but at least I knew what to - kind of do with an eggplant, and I gotta tell you this has been one of the foods that I have not been keen on cooking because I didn't think I liked them.

So while I was making  Honey Wheat Bread I had some time to think about what I was going to make for dinner. I decided I was craving bruschetta so I decided that I would give tonight's dinner an Italian spin...(uh oh I see a theme occurring here cause we had spaghetti last night). So I put together my normal rub for my roasted chicken (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, and basil)and peeled and cubed the sweet potatoes (not sure they fit into the Italian theme..LOL) and got all that in the oven. I chopped up some of the tomatoes I got over the weekend and added some salt, pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, basil and olive oil and toasted some Ciabatta bread we had. Then I put my chopped up eggplant in a pan with olive oil  and added some chopped zucchini. ( Next time I know it takes zucchini longer to cook then the eggplant, it was a bit mushy but OMG)..the flavor was so good. I never knew I liked eggplant. I could have very well done without the chicken tonight for dinner. Before I pulled the chicken from the oven I added a little smoked Gouda cheese to it..oh that was so yummy. Tito said the bruschetta was awesome....yea success.He liked the flavor of the eggplant zucchini mixture but agreed with me that it was too mushy. Dinner was wonderful...there I go again tooting my own horn...but it really was.

On a side note...today for lunch I use some of the ciabatta bread and added some of my marinara (the meatless one) that I made last night for dinner on it then put a little Gouda cheese on it and threw it in the toaster oven for a few minutes...oh goodness that was delightful too!!

I never in a million years would have figured that I would love to cook and that I would love to try new food...who knows maybe next week I will try leeks...ok maybe not next week but I do plan on trying them in the future!!

Loves Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment