Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bad quiche, good caprese

So still cooking cooking cooking. I think my husband is enjoying all the made from scratch cooking lately. He is getting spoiled and so much more picky then he used to be. I have been waiting to make a quiche for a really long time. Ever since one of my co-worker made some from scratch for her wedding and I helped. Her quiche was so good and nothing I have eaten since then has come close tasting the same. So when I came across a recipe for a spinach, green onion, and smoked gouda quiche I was more then excited to try it. Tito said he liked quiche, so I bought the ingredients and then every time I wanted to make it last week something would come up and i couldn't make it. Finally yesterday I decided to make it. I altered the recipe a little.


I think it baked up beautifully
I wanted to make a whole wheat pie crust so I substituted whole wheat flour for the all purpose flour and I wasn't sure if Tito would be ok with a no meat dinner so I added 4 pieces of cooked chopped bacon to the recipe. I was having trouble rolling out the pie crust so I had to just mash it into the pie plate with my fingers lol.








I was super nervous about this dinner because I had no clue how to know if it was done cooking or not. But then I started thinking ok eggs cook rather quickly so it has to be done. So I stuck a fork in the middle and it seemed firm so I decided that it must be done, now all we had to do was wait 10 min for it to cool.


I couldn't wait to try it. Tito wasn't hungry so he decided to wait. It cut well and stayed together. I thought it tasted wonderful. The bacon added just the right amount of saltiness to it and the cheese made it so moist. It was really good. I couldn't wait for Tito to try, well after he finished eating I asked what he thought. He said "its ok" WHAT!!! OK?!?! I slaved in the kitchen for a whole 25 minutes making this and he says its ok?!!! I was a tad bit irritated so I said, well what could I change? Or what didn't you like? He said, "I don't like salty pie crust." LOL. I told him I couldn't have made a sweet pie crust that would have been gross. He said he knew. Anyway...long story short, when my hubby tells me something is ok that means, don't make it again. Bummer. I am really trying hard to find dishes that don't have meat that he will eat as a main course because I would like to do all veggie dinners a couple of times a week. So far I have had no success. What is truly remarkable is that his mom cooks a lot of vegetarian foods so I don't understand his aversion to it. Anyhow on to better things.
Tonight I made Chicken Caprese with Bacon (which has quickly become one of our favorites except I can't add the basil to Tito's chicken) with stir-fried spinach and spinach and tomato fusilli with a garlic butter sauce. He said the spinach was bitter. I told him I am just going to have to start adding sugar to his food. lol. Greens are bitter, I think they are supposed to be, they are leaves right? Any suggestions on how to not make bitter greens because he said the same thing about the collard greens last week. Oh well, you win some and you lose some right:O)  Oh yea the only thing missing from my wonderful dinner tonight was a nice glass of Riesling.

Hope you enjoy the recipes as much as I did.
Loves Angela




No comments:

Post a Comment