Thursday, July 29, 2010

Who knew I could bake?!

So this week I have continued my bread kick!! I decided hey if I can make the ciabatta rolls that my sister Nit posted the recipe for on her blog, then I could make anything!! Well...that may not be entirely true, lol however I decided that I wanted to try the Honey Whole Wheat Bread recipe on the back fo the whole wheat flour bag that I had. So I got everything out and while I was baking the ciabatta bread, I started on this loaf bread recipe. I am guessing I was feeling ambitious that day because I was babysitting Brooklyn (who is 8 weeks old) whatever possessed me to bake twice in one day while babysitting I will never know, but  I can say that I won't be that ambitious again..lol Anyway back to the bread...so after getting the ingredients together I realized I was going to need a large work space so I cleaned off the kitchen table and proceeded to use it. Cliff assisted me in cooking while Grace (bless her heart) tried tending to the (very fussy) baby. But I was already in and couldn't turn back because the water was in the yeast!! I was scared to death baking this bread ( I was doing it all by hand mind you!! NO BREAD MAKER HERE..lol) So in the middle of kneading the dough, the baby decided she was hungry and we had to take a break and make a bottle, I was just hoping that it wouldn't cause my bread any issues, all I could think of was 6.5 cups of flour is a lot of waste if this doesn't work out!. I had no idea when I began this how time consuming it would be. So it came time to roll out the dough and wouldn't you know I don't even own a rolling pin (guess I should put that on my would love to acquire list) but I did have a  wine bottle so I washed it and floured that baby up and it worked just as well as a rolling pin!!  I didn't even have a dough mat!! I used a large round pizza pan, Tito always says I am industrious!! Guess I am haha! 




So after all the kneading and rising and punching and rolling and pinching and rolling and pinching and rolling and rising the bread was finally in the oven!! I was excited and the smell was wonderful!! To make the baking time go by faster the girls and I put the movie Fame into the DVD player and watched it. Halfway through I took the bread out and placed it on the cooling rack, I wasn't sure if it would taste good, but it was very pretty.

 After a not too long hour wait for the bread to cool, because we were still watching the movie, it was time to cut the bread!!





And it was AWESOME!! The kids couldn't wait to try it. Before I knew it, half the loaf was gone!! So I must say that my bread making experience was a success and I won't be buying 9 million ingredient bread from the store anymore!

So exciting. Now I am going to have to try and tweak the recipe and not put any white flour in it. I wonder how it will turn out? HMMM, hopefully better then the whole wheat ciabatta rolls I tried out that day. Yes, I tweaked my sister's recipe to see if I could make it into a whole wheat recipe, ummm lets just say that bread is good toasted or with some type of sweet butter on it but not plain. I think I will just have to make the ciabatta rolls according to the recipe. It did make pretty good ciabatta croutons though..lol Anyway, if you make the bread ENJOY and tell me how it turns out!!
Loves Angela






1 comment:

  1. Using a wine bottle to roll it out...brilliant! Way to go...looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete