Monday, July 19, 2010

Little White Monster

So far our switch to mostly organic has been easy. I am using up what non organic stuff we have because I don't want to be wasteful by throwing out food. The change has come for the most part pretty easy with the exception of a few items. The kids have come on board and are at least trying things. (I made a peanut butter smoothie for Cliff and Tito last night and they both loved it, Cliff didn't know I used rice milk!! ) Some things they like (for instance Annie's White Cheddar Bunnies) and some things they don't (for instance all natural cashew butter). They had no clue about the change to organic meat and they couldn't taste a difference. I certainly can. Especially when I take the meat out of its packaging, it never smells.

Ok so about the sugar. Like I said the change has been easy for the most part. I even bought some organic cane sugar. It smells different but there is no taste difference. Which is great, because I have tried stevia and do not like it. Here is my problem. My kids love kool aid and sweet tea. At 4 dollars for a 1 pound bag of organic sugar I can't afford to make Kool aid (which I have an issue with any way because there is nothing natural about it) and tea by the gallon. So last night I broke down and bought regular old sugar. I have a difficult time, now that I am becoming educated on what is in the food we eat, feeding things to my kids that I know is bad for them. The process for the children is going to have to be slower and of course the children brought to our attention that they don't get to pick and choose at their Dad's house what they eat. I told them I understood that, but it was still my job to educate them about what we are doing and then when they are able to make the choices for themselves they will have the knowledge they need to make an educated choice.

Sno-balls!! My secret love!! This is one thing that I know is not good for me. But I just don't want to give them up!! Maybe in time as my body gets used to the natural sugars we eat I will quit craving them..We will see.

So last night we made homemade smoothies according to Grace's memory of what she made at camp. She did not like it.(neither did I) So we took what we made and put in the freezer because I didn't want to waste it. Well I decided I wanted to try a different twist so I added two ice cream scoops of mango sorbet!! OMG!! It was wonderful. The girls of course didn't like it, but then they don't like mango. I however think I have found a new favorite drink. I just have to tweak the sugar content (again that sneaky substance is sneaking in).

So wish me luck on trying to get rid of this little white monster from my diet!!

Loves Angela

By the way I am going to dry to make homemade bread today. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment