Monday, July 26, 2010

Week of Cooking

So we have been introducing the kids to natural and organic foods for the last week. Dinner has been very enjoyable. Sitting around the table together, holding hands to say the blessing every body making their plates take those first bites and then trying to figure out what organic and whats natural and whats not. I have had a little difficulty explaining the difference between natural and organic to the kids,  as I am not sure myself how to tell the difference. What I have discovered is that my whole family loves homemade bread. I have asked myself several times why have I not tried this before. I get great joy making food and listening to all the yums and requests for more. I have discovered that whole wheat pasta is kid friendly  but not whole wheat with flax mixed in it. it changes the texture to much for them.

I have also discovered the reason my family wasn't eating salad in the years past was because bagged salad has a very strange uninviting flavor to it. My friend Dodi, makes salad that I LOVE!! I asked her what her secret was...she said, don't buy bagged lettuce (romaine in-particular) she said buy it fresh. Well we did and I am happy to say everyone is eating salad with their dinner every evening!! How awesome is that.  (Well Cliff isn't, and Grace had to be convinced that green lettuce did taste just as good as white lettuce (iceberg). I told her the greener it was meant the more nutritious it was. Once she tried it, she loved it.

My mom thinks me making home made bread may not be a good thing, but I think it is. I love knowing there aren't all the extras in the bread that you can't pronounce. I have been very surprised at how excited the kids are about the changes in our diet. I wasn't expecting them to be so easy going about it and they are willing to try most things. They also love the Amish friendship bread I made, and I am delighted cause the bread (which is more like cake) is made from ingredients you can pronounce!!

So far so good on our journey. I am excited, sometimes its hard staying away from the quick foods at the store or the box snack cakes that I know the kids love. But I believe that in time they will stop wanting that stuff if I stick to my guns!!  (Wish me luck:O)

No comments:

Post a Comment